banner

 

fb

ALLEGHENY COUNTY FIRE STATION 127

History

The Coraopolis Volunteer Fire Department protects the 1.36 square mile community of approximately 6,200 citizens. Currently, the department has 21 active members. The main station is located on State Avenue which houses Rescue Engine 1, Engine 2, and Truck 4. A second sub-station is located on 1st Avenue "below the tracks" and houses Engine 3, Squad 5 with boat trailer, Ladder 1, and the 1939 Ahrens Fox.

uniform

The town of Coraopolis was founded in 1886. Around the same point in time a water plant was constructed and the Coraopolis Fire Department existed.

There is very little recorded information about the fire department prior to 1898. On March 14, 1898 the fire department was reorganized "Coraopolis Hose Company #1". At this first meeting a gentlemen by the name of Stanton, acting as safety commissioner, held the first recorded meeting of the Coraopolis Fire Department. Jay Moore was present at this meeting and was elected the first Fire Chief of the Coraopolis Hose Company, in 1899.

wagon

1911 Coraopolis Hose Company #1

Opening of Sewickley Bridge

The first Coraopolis Hose Company Fire Station was located at 1015 State Ave, next to the current main station. The station housed equipment including the 2 horse drawn wagons with hoses and ladders. The horses were used from a funeral home located across the street. The original fire station still exists today as a private business; however, the funeral home does not.

oldstation

CORAOPOLIS HOSE COMPANY #1

1015 STATE AVENUE

In 1918, The Coraopolis Hose Company #1 purchased its first triple combination fire engine, an American La France Metropolitan Engine. The 1918 engine remained in service until 1939 when it was replaced with an Ahrens Fox Engine with mid ship pump. The department still possesses "The Fox", housed at the substation on 1st Ave.

lod fox

1939 AHRENS FOX, 5th Ave Coraopolis

In 1929, Hose Company #1 moved to its existing home, 1012 Fifth Avenue, adjacent to the municipal building on Fifth Ave. The station has 3 bays to house trucks and various firefighting and rescue equipment. Its location provides quick access to all of Coraopolis.

85station

1985 CORAOPOLIS VFD

Throughout the last 75 years the Coraopolis Volunteer Fire Department (CVFD), as it is known today, made many advancement in protecting the community. During the early 1980s the members of the CVFD donated their salaries of $4 per hour rate per emergency call, back to the department to supplement their funds. A second building was obtained for the public worksin the 1980s. With the additional garages at 1st Avenue the CVFD also became river rescue with certified divers.

new station

2011 CORAOPOLIS VFD

Recently, the CVFD has purchase a 2011 Sutphen Sheild Engine. The 6 person truck is housed with a 2005 Sutphen Ladder and a 1995 Freight Liner/Boardman Engine. The apparatus carry firefighting and rescue equipment for the 21 members.

The Coraopolis Volunteer Fire Department also celebrated 125 years of service protecting the community, 1886-2011.